Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Anna Pou Responds

My dear friends:
It has been nearly two years since my last post and I do apolagise for the long delay. The reason for the delay was a result of my two phone conversations with Sheri Fink. I contacted Sheri after reading her article, Deadly Choices which dealt with the events at Memorial Hospital right after hurricane Katrina had made landfall in New Orleans. I explained to Sheri that I was in the process of sharing my story and involvement  with Dr. Anna Pou. Sheri asked me not to publish any more information on my site but rather to tell my story. We talked by phone on two occasions for appoximently eight hours. After that, I never heard from her again. So I decided to continue my postes because I would like there to me a historical record of my conversations with Anna between June, 2006 to July, 2007. I also intend publishing here all the emails. What folows is the first email I sent to Anna. It was basically a letter of introduction.

To apou@lsuhsc.edu


From: apou@lsuhsc.edu (apou@lsuhsc.edu)

Saved: Fri 7/28/06 5:51 PM

To: apou@lsuhsc.edu



Saved draft. Continue composing this message
Delete

Dear Dr. Anna Pou: I sincerely understand and can imagine that you receive lots of email on a daily basis and would please ask that before deleting my email, please at least read what I have sent with an open and understanding heart. I also understand that you do not know me and that I live far far away from your state and the tragic circumstances swirling around last years act of nature.I myself was in the hospital recovery from major surgery and watched on tv the heart wrenching events as they unfolding in New Orleans. I can still remember how my heart just cried out for the ordeal the citizens where going through and even remember turning the tv off a number of times because I felt so sad for the folks who lost their homes and jobs and friends and pets. Even today I think back on what happened and my heart just is so sad about the tragedy. I sincerely hope that you will please read this with as kind an open heart with which it was written and that perhaps you will find it within your heart to respond with what I hope is the sensitivity in which it was composed. I would like very much to be a friend and to understand what happened without judgement or reservation. Sincerely and Very Respectfully,Miranda



I remember that when I sent Anna this email, I did not know if she would reply. Afterall, I was a complete stranger and she had therefor no real reason to reply. Approximately two days later, I received and email response from Anna.
To miranda lucianna


From: Pou, Anna M (apou@lsuhsc.edu)

Sent: Sun 7/30/06 11:35 AM

To: miranda lucianna (mirandaluc@hotmail.com)





Dear Miranda,

Thank you for contacting me and keeping an open mind. I am not at liberty to discuss the events that occurred during the wake of Katrina at this time.

If you can find it in your heart to do so, please keep the family members of those who died during Katrina, the nurses and me in your prayers.

With Warmest Regards,

Anna





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: miranda lucianna [mailto:mirandaluc@hotmail.com]

Sent: Fri 7/28/2006 7:51 PM

To: Pou, Anna M

Subject: A Friend from Far Away





Dear Dr. Anna Pou: I sincerely understand and can imagine that you receive

lots of email on a daily basis and would please ask that before deleting my

email, please at least read what I have sent with an open and understanding

heart. I also understand that you do not know me and that I live far far

away from your state and the tragic circumstances swirling around last years

act of nature.I myself was in the hospital recovery from major surgery and

watched on tv the heart wrenching events as they unfolding in New Orleans. I

can still remember how my heart just cried out for the ordeal the citizens

where going through and even remember turning the tv off a number of times

because I felt so sad for the folks who lost their homes and jobs and

friends and pets. Even today I think back on what happened and my heart just

is so sad about the tragedy. I sincerely hope that you will please read this

with as kind an open heart with which it was written and that perhaps you

will find it within your heart to respond with what I hope is the

sensitivity in which it was composed. I would like very much to be a friend

and to understand what happened without judgement or reservation.



Sincerely and Very Respectfully,

Miranda



I remember when I received Anna's response how happy I was. I felt at the time that her resonse was the beginning of a conversation that I hoped would eventually allow me to answer the question of how something like this could have occured in America in the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment